Today I saw one such post, I even commented on it suggesting something specifically aimed at the new mum that would be just for her, something that she could enjoy in those long hours at night while still in hospital when her only company would be her new baby and the midwives on the ward. Turns out I wasn’t the only one to suggest it, and it appears to be becoming more popular.
Naturally it has inspired me to write a blog post on things that are different, unique, special and just for mum that people can give to the new mum after the birth of her baby, and by proxy even give to her at her baby shower. I am going to include links to some of my personal favourite Australian-Based Facebook Pages to get gifts from, to make it easier for my Australian readers to find the gifts, and also to give my international readers ideas on what they can look for local to them as well.
First off here is an idea that you can do yourself – you could spend as little as $20 on it, or as much as $100, the cost is up to you and your individual budget – this particular gift idea is what I, and many others, suggested on the post that I saw today.
- Put together a gift hamper of things that the new mum/mum-to-be likes. This can include soaps, skin care products, candles, chocolate, lollies, magazines, books, puzzles, stationary, a journal with a pen, jewellery, gift vouchers for things that mum likes (massages for example), pyjama’s, slippers, bathrobes etc.
My second suggestion is not for everyone but is a great idea, speak to Melanie at Beyond The Willow Tree – http://www.facebook.com/beyondthewillowtree22 - what she does is just amazing.
- Get the new mum/mum-to-be a special piece of placenta/breastmilk/lock of hair Jewellery from Melanie at Beyond The Willow Tree. Melanie is the first person in Australia to offer this particular service, and she has inspired many others around the world to give it a try as well. Each item is special and unique, whether it is made from a piece of placenta, a lock of hair or from breastmilk. She also offers memorial jewellery made from the ashes of loved ones, so if your friend has lost someone dear to them recently who has been cremated you can organise with one of her family members to send off a small amount of the ashes to be turned into a special piece of jewellery. My personal favourite is the Solid Glass Breastmilk Drop Pendant for $55.
My next suggestion involves scented candles and melts. There are many Facebook pages selling handmade candles these days, but did you know that you can order a custom made candle? Amanda from https://www.facebook.com/amandas.wicked.candles is the one to see for custom candle/melt packages.
- You can have a special candle package made to order for you to give a new mum/mum-to-be as a gift, and best of all you can choose the specific scents in each candle/melt yourself. Prices range from $2 to $30, and they look gorgeous too!
For something else a little bit different you could head over to Wild N Wooly – http://www.facebook.com/getwildgetwooly - and ask Janelle for something unique and handmade.
- Wild N Wooly offers unique handmade crochet items made to order. While Janelle also creates items for babies and baby related items she can make something very special and unique for your friend. My personal favourite is the Purple Crochet Jacket for $50.
How does a photography session sound? You could buy your friend a maternity session or a newborn session with Kristal at Click With You Photography located near Brisbane, QLD - https://www.facebook.com/clickwithyouphotography (facebook page), and http://www.clickwithyou.com.au/ (website)- or if you're not local to Brisbane look up the local photographers in your area.
For handmade items like nappy wallets, breast pads, breastfeeding covers, burp cloths and cloth wipes plus more look no further than Michelle from Shell’s Stitches – http://www.facebook.com/shellsstiches
- A breastfeeding cover (if the new mum intends to breastfeed and would like to cover up), cloth breast pads (still useful during those first few weeks even if the new mum chooses not to breastfeed as she will most likely still leak until her supply dried up) and a nappy wallet are great gift ideas for a new mum, and best of all Michelle can make them in your choice of fabric from her range. I love the flower pattern on the option "B" Breast Pads that are available at $5 for 1 pair and $8 for 2 pairs, makes me wish that I was still breastfeeding so that I could get them.
Your friend doesn’t like any of the other option? Well then does your friend like handbags? Rebecca from https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rebecca-Cole-So-Jealous-Fashion-assistant-Traralgon-Vic/580234905397967 is a SoJealous consultant and sells some gorgeous handbags!
- Lots of variety and the prices are really good. My personal favourite is the Purple Handbag that comes with a matching Pashmina for $75 + postage.
For some high quality hand stamped jewellery Chantel McCabe at https://www.facebook.com/ChantelMcCabeJewellery is the person to go to.
- You can have the jewellery hand stamped with the babies name/s and date of birth, or you can have the mums name or a particular phrase stamped onto it. Best of all Chantel is a registered user of Argentium Silver. My favourite is the personalised “I Love You To The Moon And Back” twin pendant priced at $132.14.
Alternatively for handmade jewellery with custom set stones see Cheri at https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/GemsOfOz who can make you some custom Jewellery with the gemstones of your choice.
Mamadoo is your go to place for all things related to mums, bubs and kids - https://www.facebook.com/shopmamadoo.
- From maternity wear, to shoes, bedroom items, books and much more, Mamadoo has something for every mum.
Don’t have a maternity bag? Or confused about what to pack? Visit https://www.facebook.com/pages/MaternityBag/163354610503217 for prepacked maternity bags.
Is your friend into herbal remedies? Then Blissful Herbs at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blissful-Herbs/100120966742386 could be just the place you need to find your friend the perfect gift.
The last gift idea in our list is something very unique. How about a Gemstone Thunderegg? Want to know what it is them go and visit Thundereggs Downunder to find out more - https://www.facebook.com/thundereggsdownunder
As always, feel free to share.
FOOTPRINTS & RAINBOWS